Log in

cottage watch

Procedures for Reporting a Crime


Never is it our responsibility to chase down criminals - simply call the police!

Many people hesitate to call the police because they do not want to leave their name with the dispatcher; do not worry - the police DO NOT give out names!

Suspicious behaviour or a crime that has already occurred: Call 1-888-310-1122

By reporting criminal activity we can help police track and prosecute criminals. Often break-and-enter crimes are linked to other crimes such as drug activity.

Cottage Owner

  • If you’ve been broken into, call Police at 1-888-310-1122 to report the crime, or report online to the OPP
  • If you see a crime in progress call 911
  • Call your Zone Coordinator to report the crime. 
  • While keeping in mind personal safety and individual property rights, check on neighbouring properties for signs of entry, theft and/or damages. 

    Note: you should only be checking properties where you know your neighbours, and both they and you are comfortable checking on their property.

Zone Coordinator

  • Collect information from the owner regarding:
  1. when the break-in may have occurred
  2. what was taken
  3. any damage
  4. whether they noticed evidence of additional break-ins at neighbouring cottages

This information will be considered personal and confidential and will only be shared with other Cottage Watch Coordinators and KLA directors. 

Only general information about the incident (e.g., approx. date, streets involved, number of properties involved) will be shared with other zone residents and KLA members.

Thanks to KLA member Rob Horsburgh for his photograph of Wallace Island used as the background photo throughout this site

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software